Summary: I’m giving you a heads up on a book I read by Dr. Dale Bredesen titled, The End of Alzheimer’s. I think everyone needs to read this book for proactive and reactive neurologic health ranging from mild cognitive impairment, to dementia to Alzheimer’s. Alarming statistics: 15% of the population will succumb to Alzheimer’s. 65% of Alzheimer’s patients are female. If you are female, your chance of getting Alzheimer’s is greater than getting breast cancer. Dr. Mark Hyman’s email dated Sept 5, 2017 stated: “10 percent of 65-year-olds, 25 percent of 75-year-olds, and 50 percent of 85-year-olds will develop dementia or Alzheimer’s disease.” Do your brain a favor, read The End of Alzheimer’s to understand Alzheimer’s Dementia Bredesen Approach. In fact, use the Institute for Functional Medicine link, Facebook Live with Dale Bredesen, MD – September 10, 2017 at 7 pm CDT to download your free chapter. I did! I read tons of full-text studies covering microbiome, health, disease, therapeutics, and nutrition, most behind paywalls. Paywalls are one reason there are many health/wellness books written by the ‘experts’. I have bought a few of those, and I use them over and over again for reference. The End of Alzheimer’s is one such book I am certain. Put it in your tool aresenal too, for your brains sake.
True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid. — L. Frank Baum
Dr. Bredesen’s Alzheimer’s work in a nutshell…
Dr. Dale Bredesen’s work is reversing Alzheimer’s in newly diagnosed and vastly improving conditions in long-term disease. His book, The End of Alzheimer’s, tells how. He says everyone should know their ApoE4, HSCRP, hemoglobin A1C, fasting insulin, copper to zinc ratio (and more) to protect brain health proactively and as aggressive preventative medicine — see his website or the book! And his tip — Get your cognoscopy at age 45!
The recovery process using his protocol can take up to 5 years for complex cases, but many see benefit in 3 to 6 months. No matter… that time is but a drop in the bucket for a lifetime of brain health. Also realize, it took years to get to brain dysfunction due to its multi-factorial issues; it’ll take a bit of time to move to health. His approach isn’t a silver bullet approach; it is a silver buckshot approach! We know about carcinogenics, in his program you’ll learn about dementingens — an dementigen example is statins which have a risk factor for dementia. This is why Bredesen’s approach tries to move people off statins. “Use diet to get around statins,” Dr. Bredesen says at the very end of this presentation! For more on statins, begin reading leading light UK cardiologist Dr. Aseem Malhotra’s article, The Great Statins Divide, check out Dr. Mark Hyman (Cleveland Clinic Director of Functional Medicine) website blog posts on statins (hit reload to update the search), and for the geeks, tackle Screening for Small Molecule Inhibitors of Statin-Induced APP C-terminal Toxic Fragment Production, 2017.
Risks of getting Alzheimer’s looking at the ApoE4
- If you have 0 copies of ApoE4 you have ~9% risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
- If you have one copy, the risk is ~30%. There are 7 million people with one copy in the US.
- If you have two copies, the risk is above 50% (some would argue it is 90% — depending on what study you read) but it is more likely you will get it then not. There are 75 million people having both copies in the US.
They would like to find all ApoE4 positive people and start treatment now to prevent development of Alzheimer’s. Dr. Bredesen recommends the ApoE4.info website as being very helpful for ApoE4 information; 99% of its members are using some form of Bredesen’s Protocol.
Some KEY slides from Dr. Bredesen presentations (linked below) are:
More Specifics — Alzheimer’s Dementia Bredesen Approach
Understand, Dr. Bredesen’s approach to treatment uses the microbiome and beyond, looking at three factors. Dr. Bredesen’s approach is to treat Alzheimer’s disease as what happens when the brain tries to protect itself from three metabolic and toxic threats:
- Inflammation (from infection, diet, or other causes),
- Decline and shortage of supportive nutrients, hormones, and other brain- supporting molecules,
- Toxic substances such as metals or biotoxins (poisons produced by microbes such as molds).
Among the measures he recommends (not an inclusive listing):
- A diet that eliminates processed foods and other unhealthy ingredients, and boosts fruits, vegetables and healthy fish.
- Stress reduction with meditation, yoga, music or other means.
- Eight hours of sleep a night.
- At least 30 minutes of exercise four to six times a week.
- Very good oral hygiene.
- Improvement of gut health with probiotics and prebiotics.
- Fasting for 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, and three hours or more between dinner and bedtime, to keep insulin levels low.
Dr. Bredesen published his protocol in the Journal Aging, Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program, Sept. 2014. He termed the theurapetic treatment metabolic enhancement for neurodegeneration (MEND) protocol. His paper reported results for ten patients using the MEND Bredesen approach . “Nine of the 10 patients improved. Six who had been on leave from work or were struggling with work due to memory loss and other Alzheimer’s-related issues returned or improved their work performance. The one patient who did not improve was in the late stages of Alzheimer’s Disease. One 67 year old patient is still doing well after three years. She had a demanding job when her memory issues surfaced. She couldn’t finish work reports properly and would even forget her longtime pets’ names. Within months of beginning the program, she was doing well at work. “Four times she went off the program and each time she got worse. When she went back on, she went back to normal.” Since, they have treated over 1,000 patients using MEND.
Dr. Bredesen et al published in 2016 a follow-up to these first ten patients using MEND, Reversal of cognitive decline in Alzheimer’s disease. “Here we report the results of quantitative MRI and neuropsychological testing in ten patients with cognitive decline, nine ApoE4+ (five homozygous and four heterozygous) and one ApoE4−, who were treated with the MEND protocol for 5-24 months. The magnitude of the improvement is unprecedented, providing additional objective evidence that this programmatic approach to cognitive decline is highly effective. These results have far-reaching implications for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, Mild Cognitive Impairment, and Subjective Cognitive Impairment; for personalized programs that may enhance pharmaceutical efficacy; and for personal identification of ApoE genotype.”
Listen to these GREAT webcasts for more Bredesen insights!
Posted Aug 2017 is webcast, Dr. Steven Gundry interviews Dr. Dale Bredesen about “The End of Alzheimer’s.”
As well, listen to the Dec 2016 webcast, Reversing Alzheimer’s Disease- Dr. Dale Bredesen, MD for even more GREAT insights!
Tap into more Alzheimer’s Education Opportunities:
♥ Sign up for the upcoming FREE online Alzheimer’s summit:
This is 12 days, beginning Sept 21, 2017, of FREE cutting edge frontier information. Register at Awakening from Alzheimer’s. What is neat about this summit… Will there be a replay of the event? Yes!!! “We all lead busy lives, and we understand that there may not be enough time to catch a particular episode during the 24 hours it is posted. That’s why – due to your requests – we are planning to do a FREE replay weekend after the commencement of the event. We’ve tentatively scheduled this all-access replay for the weekend of October 8th and 9th, and all registered participants will be sent more details as we get closer to the date.”
♥ Attend Dr. Sarkis Mazmanium talk in San Diego, CA Nov 2-3, 2017 if you live in the area. Why?
Here is the Open Letter from leading light neurological microbiome researcher, Dr. Sarkis Mazmanium, talking about the upcoming 5th Microbime R&D and Business Collaboration happening in San Diego, Nov 2-3, 2017. I profiled Dr. Mazmanian’s work in the post, MICROBIOME: PARKINSON’S BEGINS IN GUT (a top read post on my website). If you are in the San Diego area, definitely check out his talk:
The concept of the gut-brain axis (GBA) has been around for some time. Yet, the idea that the gut microbiota could regulate the GBA is relatively recent.
Prior research has found differences between the gut microbiome composition of healthy individuals and those with neurological diseases. In addition, those with neurological diseases often suffer gastrointestinal symptoms.
Remarkably, 70% of all neurons in the peripheral nervous system are in the intestines, and the gut’s nervous system connects to the central nervous system. Understanding the interaction between the gut microbiota may lead to novel therapeutics for neurological diseases: instead of getting a drug to the brain of a patient, the gut can be targeted more easily.
I look forward to covering this in greater depth at the 5th Microbiome R&D and Business Collaboration Forum: USA and I hope to see you there.
Louis & Nelly Soux Professor of Microbiology, California Institute
Alzheimer’s is the 3rd leading cause of death in the US and 1st leading cause of death in the UK.
It doesn’t need to be on anyone’s diseasespan.
Read The End of Alzheimer’s, for your brain’s sake and so it isn’t in your diseasespan!!!
Best in health through awareness,